Of course, that vision took a few years to develop and would ultimately turn in the direction of a new technology called television that was then in its infancy as a young Paul Crouch headed off to Bible college in Springfield Missouri. In the meantime, this son of Pentecostal missionaries, with a vision that spanned the globe, bided his time and thoroughly mastered every inch of the broadcast industry from the ground up. That included stints as radio announcer, television station manager, and even head of a newly-formed television and film department for a major Pentecostal denomination.
He also married the love of his life, and lifelong ministry partner, Jan Crouch, and in 1973, beginning with one tiny UHF station—and a whole lot of faith and vision—this trailblazing couple launched what was destined to become the most influential religious broadcast entity in the world.
“When we started this amazing journey nearly forty years ago, we had little idea that one day TBN’s influence would span the globe with 24-hour faith and family broadcasting,” recalled Dr. Crouch, who today is revered around the world as one of Christian television’s true pioneers. “But we knew we were pioneers of sorts, and we felt a responsibility to use all the resources at our command to bring our growing audience the very best in inspirational, religious, and family-friendly programming.”
Today across America and around the world TBN stands for the finest in faith-and-family television. Currently ranked as the third largest television broadcast group in America, TBN reaches every major continent via 70 satellites and more than 18,000 television and cable affiliates worldwide. And through Dr. Crouch’s leadership TBN has expanded to over ten distinct global inspirational networks, including:
- TBN Flagship Network, America’s premier faith-and-family channel, featuring the most popular religious programs available worldwide, along with a 24-hour line-up of music, variety, talk, and exclusive movies and special features.
- JCTV, the 24-hour network geared for teens and young adults, featuring cutting-edge Christian music videos, reality and game shows, relevant talk programs, comedy, extreme sports, and much more.
- The Church Channel, the only 24-hour network featuring America’s most popular church services from a wide variety of Protestant and Catholic congregations.
- TBN Enlace USA, America’s premier round-the-clock Spanish language faith network.
- Smile of a Child TV, the exclusive kids network featuring 24-hour wholesome programming that parents can trust for their children.
“This has been a labor of love every step of the way,” said Dr. Crouch, reflecting on his over 50 years of service to Christian broadcasting. “Love for Christ and His gospel of life, and love for the countless millions of individuals and families who have been touched by God’s message through the power of inspirational television.”